Monday, April 29, 2013

Girl Friday Sews: Office in a Pouch


So as I said a while back, even though the blog hop is over, Girl Friday Sews type projects are going to be coming by here every once in a while to visit. My Bunny is finishing up another year of her AWANA Bible club in the next two weeks, and I'm trying to finish a few gifts for her teachers. Last year I made these portfolios which were a big hit. This year I'm giving them an Office in a Pouch. The pattern isn't mine -- I based it entirely on Ayumi's adorable Patchwork Wristlet, enlarging it to a 9 x 14" size and forgoing the patchwork to save time. I added an extra layer of interfacing in the lining to help with stability since I was making it larger and not doing any quilting on the exterior. The darling hippo fabric came in a scrap pack from Fabricworm -- best scrap packs out there, people. You will not be sorry if you order one of these, I promise you. The lining fabrics are both from Comma by Zen Chic, such a great line full of incredibly versatile blenders.


When I showed the pouch to my husband, he asked, "What does milk have to do with hippos?" I smiled and answered, "Nothing, except that it's completely adorable."


I'm filling my pouches with office supplies: a pen, paper clips, binder clips, post-it notes, washi tape, and a small journal. There's still room for receipts, bills, stamps, lists -- all those things that can so easily sink to the bottom of a purse and get lost forever. I'll have pictures of the other three pouches to share in a day or two. Several of you asked for a tutorial for my patchwork bag also, so I'll be putting that together this week as well. Thanks for the encouragement!


Whenever I plan to make several versions of a project, I always do a practice run first. There are a few little flaws in this one that happened when I was figuring out exactly how I wanted to put it together, so I guess I'll just have to keep it for myself...

Linking up to Fabric Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. What a terrific gift for those hard working AWANA leaders! They are the perfect size. I need to attempt a bag or pouch SOON. Just a little nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right - it is so adorable! Those hippos are bound to make you smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great idea...and just about the right size for an AWANA book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever - they are going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those hippos, and you really must keep it for yourself, or send it to me! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How perfect! I just love that bag. I really need something like that for my purse. Everything gets lost so easily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I adore that fabric! The milk charm and the hippo fabric go perfectly together, equal parts adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those hippos! And duh, milk totally goes with hippos. Everyone knows that. ;) I have got to get some of those charms. Hobby Lobby you said?

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...